A couple steps forward a couple back and then again...
Monday, March 21, 2016, 05:54 PM
Posted by Administrator
Well, after a bit of exploring and investigation and tuning the includes and other bits and pieces I got to a point with my initial Samba 4.3.1 build on OpenVMS to where it looked like I could not get much further. I got down to about 15 images that still had undefined references. Some do not seem to be directly in the code in Samba - the dependency demon raises its head. So I decided to step back, look at what I could disable in the configure in an attempt to get as minimal a version of Samba as possible.
Well, that was nice, found I had some missing knowledge and missing pieces to the puzzle. I had apparently not documented all the "little" changes to get past minor glitches in the configure. So, as of right now these are the modified files in the build process:
Now of course all the necessary include files have to be found and that will vary by system to system.
This build also depends upon the subprocess.py Python module which I developed and which is available on the VMS-Ports SourceForge Project. It also depends upon Perl 5.22.1 and the modification of the MakeMaker.pm Perl module to ignore VMS at the "my $Is_VMS..." line - change the "eq" to "ne". A more complete fix needs to be made for using Perl under GNV/bash on OpenVMS but this takes care of the immediate issues.
You will want Python and Perl to not be defined as symbols under DCL. This will confuse the build. Set up the
variable in GNV/bash to include
More will come as I move forward.